Thursday 23 May 2013

Number of the beast



Big funeral in Leek today. Apparently the manager of a local football club. The side streets were packed around the Church. A shopper speculated that it was the biggest funeral in Leek with the possible exception of Steve Povey's a couple of years ago. I remember the coffin on the back of a horse and cart with a scout band playing the European theme " Ode to Joy". Ironic considering Steve was a UKIP member.

Told a bloke about the research I did in the William Salt Library on the emigrant to the States Isaac ball and the Oregon Trail. I have a notion of writing a quartet of accounts of emigrants in the 19th century from the Staffordshire Moorlands. I have Isaac bound for the States. I found a bloke transported to NSW in 1839 for stealing bacon from Upper Tean, two brothers who fought in the Second Sikh Wars 1848-9 and a judge born in Leek who was involved in the Ballarat Gold Fields. Should be interesting.

Man has a big rant about paying for plastic bags, we don't do it and I suspect he us getting us confused with Wales about 40 miles away.

Very wizened man possibly from the hills gets a bill for 6.66. I smell sulphur. I have always suspected the beast lives in Onecote

No comments:

Post a Comment