Monday 20 May 2013

Pegasus Bridge 1944



The old man told me that he was approaching 90. I asked him about the war. he was in a Northern Ireland Regiment- the Royal Innishkillen Dragoon Guards and the Earl of Kildare was his commanding officer. he was in D Day and was near the Pegasus Bridge. He told me about how bitter he was in the way the country had turned out.

A woman behind him she was in her late 40s told me and the old man about her father who in the Parachute Regiment and took part in a battle in the Ardennes which took place in January 1945. Incidentally that was where my father was. In fact he was bombed by a ME 262. The woman was trying to put the history of her father;s war together. He had died in 2002.

The old man and the woman embraced. I felt that it was a rather touching incident

No comments:

Post a Comment