Monday 13 May 2013

Like Old Camembert



Londoner at the till. He is not engaging with me and seeming that I am not there. I  decide on a bold ruse as I scan a French Cheese. " Did you know that Camembert features in two Cole Porter songs? " Well, did you ever" and "Your the Top". he looked at me as if I had said something odd. I don't think he knew who Cole Porter was.

Shortly afterwards an elderly couple buy alcohol and ask me to ask them whether they had proof of age. I humour them and ask them if they are over 18 ( In reality they are in there 80s). A line from a Gilbert and Sullivan pops into my head. "She may very well pass for 43 in the dusk with the light behind her". They like Gilbert and Sullivan as does the next shopper who is especially fond of "Mikado.

Woman buys 3 solar powered Meerkats who are wearing cravats. The Meerkats are made from fibre glass. I have never understood the appeal.

A couple knew someone I used to work with in the 80s. Walter who worked in Social Services was something of an attention seeker. He used to feign heart attacks. he would carefully collapse in a chair and palpitate going redder and redder. No one would take any notice and he would get up and wander off back to his office

No comments:

Post a Comment