Friday 11 October 2013

The snot green, scrotum tightening Irish Sea


Spirits rose when chatted at the till with an English student who was a great Joyce fan. She is wading through “ Ulysses” at the moment and enjoying it. I told her the anecdote that is in the Richard Ellmann biography of a literary soiree where a devoted Canadian fan approaches Joyce and says” Can I kiss the hand that wrote Ulysses?” To which Joyce rapidly withdrawing hand said “No, it’s done other things as well. I chatted about “Portrait of an artist” which was my first introduction and mentioned the description of the Irish Sea as “snot green and scrotum tightening”

Soon after there was woman enthusing about Jerez and the whole Andalusia thing. With Phoebe’s doing Spanish it’s a destination I would like to make.

Woman says that I am going too fast. I pause and say whether she wants me to go at 33 rather than 45 rpm

“Only decent man to get into Parliament” says man about Guy Fawkes and claims to be an anarchist. He still buys a lot so perhaps the  anti consumerism element may have passed him by. I tried him with a bit of Proudhon

Cheerful man from Hanley. He says someone has to come from Hanley. He likes the ambience of Leek


Woman wearing Lawn Tennis Association top . I have tried the game once or twice as I have with hockey when a friend doing teaching practice taught it to people who have never played the game. I was a natural at it as I was with croquet which again I have only played once. Good hand to eye coordination- we all have it

No comments:

Post a Comment