Tuesday 22 October 2013

A little of what you fancy does you good




For some reason Marie Lloyd popped into my head as a customer was telling me about her favourite chocolate- a guilty pleasure. “A little of what you fancy does you good”

Talking about “Strictly Come Dancing” which both Cathy and Phoebe liked. I was asked who I thought would win. I plucked a name out of the air and said “Sophie”. The couple did not watch “X Factor” and neither do I “It’s like watching the inmates of Bedlam”

The Farmer and I had a laugh about the “Daily Express” and its absurd headlines this one was on the weather. High winds are about to hit the country apparently. Its either weather, Lady Di , ailments or immigrants. The trick will be to combine all elements in one headlines. She used to take the Guardian and reminisced about some of the great writers of the past like Norman Shrapnel, Terry Coleman and Alistair Cook. Its not so good now too many North London types write for it. I could not disagree. A Guardian reading Farmer eh I wonder if there are any Telegraph reading social workers?

Talk to Australian woman about how shopping and especially variety of vegetables have changed since the 70s. I recall the first courgettes and aubergines being sold to bemused customers at that time. The other anecdote I can remember is someone at University telling me that aubergines made his dog a Boxer to fart

Dexy Midnight Runners are giving it sum as “ Geno” is belting out at the store. Reminded me of the Top rank in Hanley and a misplaced youth  We talked about the recent documentary on Northern Soul and what a good job that Paul Mason did but he is a Wiganer.

Woman who farms in Dovedale was telling me of the difficulty that locals have in buying houses even with the “ Local buy” policy. The last two bedroom in Ilam went for over 200k. Not surprising when social housing was decimated by the right to buy policy. People living on low wages in the Peak are in a dilemma 

No comments:

Post a Comment