Monday 24 June 2013

If foodbanks are the answer, then its a funny bloody question being asked



Early on in the shift and the question of food banks came up and with the first customers there was evident disgust at the remorseless rise of the food bank as a modern day arm of social services. One woman said that it was the fault of people who " spent money on fags". I pointed out that many of the people using them were actually in work and with the price of food going up plus the costs of energy by about 12 % then its easy to see how people are running out of money to meet even the basics..

Chatted to a Policeman about the work and whether it gave him a jaundiced view of human nature. To his credit he said no. He had worked with Scouse colleagues who he deemed worse than the criminals. He also mentioned the program on Scunthorpe. Is this a fair representation of the poor? I am sure there are people on that estate who are trying to do the decent thing.

Woman who has done very well from dealing in stamps- it grew out of a hobby- it seems philately will get you everywhere.

Wimbledon is on us. I have little interest in it when I was at Wigan CHC the assistant used to fall mysteriously ill during the period of the tournament. Strange that?

My favourite customer we spoke about Zappa and he was a great fan of "Hot Rats". On a walking holiday one of my mates was obsessed with a Zappa track " Help I'm a rock". We walked past a loch and my mate would shout out as we passed a boat " Help I'm a boat, I" turning into a boat".

No comments:

Post a Comment