Saturday 7 September 2013

A short history of Coffee drinking




I was having a conversation with a woman on the history of Coffee drinking. I gather that it was a goat herdsman who noticed the effect of coffee drinking on his goats in the distant past in Yemen. I ask the woman where the first coffee house was opened( I only know this because I had written an article on the subject) It was Oxford in the 1650s by a coupe of Dutch Jews. Cromwell had allowed Jews back into the country after they had been expelled in the Middle Ages.

A conversation about Jamie Oliver. It is true to say that the general view was that he was right to criticise the TV dinner culture, Certainly Cathy supports his stance and told me of a neighbour in Ellesmere Port who gave her daughter a £1 to buy chips because she could not be arsed to boil potatoes and mash them.

Saw Mr Hartley the former head of Carmountside and what a decent cove he is. I recall the pie eating Rural Science teacher John Proctor and his very shouty sister who also taught in the school. Perhaps she needed to shout?

One of my favourite customers appeared reminiscing about the Hammersmith Palais. She once told me that many Londoners owe their existence to carnal encounters after a hop

No comments:

Post a Comment