Thursday 25 April 2013

Alan Ladd




A young man about 8 with impeccable manners calls me sir and asks me to stop while his mother gets something. From his manners he looked like Oliver asking for more.  Contrast that with the elderly Welsh couple who asked me directions or rather barked "Slimma" at me looking for the factory shop. If I had been sharper I should have said I do exercise as much as I can

 An elderly woman and I have a Stoke City conversation. We both think that they will escape the drop. I rather regret an occasion in around 1991 when I saw Tony Waddington the old manager alone on a Crewe train. I should have spoken to him and said how much I admired his team but I would always be wondering if I was bothering people. Still I ought to have said something, he looked very forlorn

Couple buy root beer or saspirilla, a stock item in the bars of the Old West. Usually the baddie makes fatal error by assuming that the Alan Ladd character is a sissy for drinking saspirilla. The ensuing gun fight proves him wrong and the bar is full of bodies. I tell the couple that I will see them back at the ranch and thank them for allowing to me to relive the tales of the Old West

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, dear Bill. All that talk of sarsaparilla reminded me of Derek's article...

    http://www.lancashirelife.co.uk/people/dr_derek_j_ripley_explores_lancashire_39_s_love_affair_with_the_fizzy_drink_1_2006579

    ReplyDelete