Sunday 31 August 2014

Roobarb and Custard- Tales from the Till



I do Sybil impression when Basil comes past me. Chance to do one liners from F Towers

 Woman buys Rhubarb and Custard Sweets. I do the tune. She looks at me blankly. Same with person ignorant of Basil Fawlty 

People ignorant of Basil Fawlty and Rhubarb and Custard 70s cultural icons both. Dumbing down I think

Young couple have great grand dad who is 100. He was in the Navy during the War. Tell them they ought to write his life

Almonds. I am told that they smell like strychnine I tell a shopper. A friend of mine who is a doctor once saw a copy of the medical Tripos for Cambridge for 1911 in a second hand book shop. She told me that it was broadly similar to the one she took although perhaps not the same reliance on strychnine. On the question of almonds there is a 16th century expression “feeding almonds to the parrot" which means bribing officials, if press reports and police investigations are to be believed it seems to go on with some officers in an authority not too far from Leek.


No comments:

Post a Comment